I work at a college, at the front desk of an office that deals with the students' laptops and cell phones. There are people who work here who are comfortable taking their lunch breaks at their desk, with their heads down, ignoring anyone who might walk in. I am not one of those people. Today I got a reminder of why.
I would normally go outside to eat or I would go to the back office and sit at the work study's desk. Today it was too cold and rainy to go outside and the work study was actually at her desk, so I ate at my counter while my coworker manned the desk. I was interrupted four or five times, the last time by a person who damaged his phone beyond repair and is going to have to pay to replace it. He had come in yesterday and argued with a different person about it, calling her names that were not very pleasant. I had to tell him the same things today that she told him yesterday. He didn't call me a name, but he did walk out the door mumbling the F word as he went. If I had been in my car during lunch, or if we had a proper breakroom, my coworker would have had to deal with him, while I enjoyed my book and sipped my root beer in peace. Oh well.
And today was already sucking anyway because it's the first day back after a four day weekend, and my favorite coworker called in sick (Hi Sarah! I hope you are feeling okay). Is it Friday yet?
(Oh, and I've been dealing with a headache all day because I let myself get addicted to caffeine again and I haven't had any since Monday. I want to break the addiction, hence the root beer. I am not exactly loving life today. Sigh)
A year later
3 days ago


1 comments:
I hate eating my lunch at my desk for that reason. I'll go outside even if it's cold and rainy and just stand under a tree or something to get out of the office.
Clare
Post a Comment