Friday, February 09, 2007

Adults Need Snow Days Too

I woke up this morning to the sound of the wind whipping, and oh man I didn't want to get out of bed. We have been in a brutal stretch of weather for a while now, and I am SO sick of it. I wanted nothing more than to call in sick and stay home in bed, but no. I had a couple of ads to get done and out today, and I had some raffle tickets to print for one of the food places on campus, so I had to get up and come in. Sigh.

So I took care of the dogs and got showered and dressed, and went out in my boots and winter coat to shovel the snow away from my car so that I could start it and get it warmed up. Brr! The wind was so strong and cold that I had to tie my hood under my chin, so that it wouldn't blow off, and I couldn't wait to get back in. Yuck. Then, unfortunately, I had to drive to work, over snow covered, slippery roads, and through stretches of white outs, where I couldn't see anything through the blowing snow. And I couldn't help but envy the school kids, who had a snow day today. And I wondered - why don't adults get snow days? Why is our work so important that we're willing to risk our lives driving to work in dangerous weather, instead of staying home and waiting it out like any sane person would?

What makes the school kids any better than us? Sigh.

Anyway. I thought I should make an appearance in here today, because my good friend Sally was worried about me. I hadn't e-mailed her in a while, and I hadn't posted in here, so she was afraid I had disappeared. I assured her that I'm fine - just not feeling very communicative lately. Life has been kind of busy, but it's the good, boring kind of busy, you know? Work, boyfriend, animals, TV, Sims - all good, fun stuff, but not really newsworthy. Thank goodness. I kind of like the busy yet calm life that I have going on right now.

Now if only spring would come early. The groundhog didn't see his shadow last week, so it should, right? Right? I hope so, because I am certainly ready for spring.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Denise ... As someone who has been secretly reading your blog for a few months now I figured I'd post a commend. With your Sims addiction, have you tried Second Life? If not, you should give it a try. It's like a real life Sims.

Deals On Wheels said...

So, wait. Do you work at SU? Because that place never closes. Ever. Well, no. I take that back. The first week of my freshman year there was a strike, and many of my professors didn’t hold class. That was promptly followed by the micro-burst (or whatever it was) that ripped through Syracuse later on that weekend. Yeah. That was a nightmare. I’m used to tornados and severe weather being from Texas and all, but that was crazy. Anyway, school closed for a day or two after that. Under normal circumstances, I probably would have appreciated the extra days off, but I had just started school there, didn’t know many people yet and was still in the process of wondering if I had made the right decision by going to SU.

SU never did close again, though. Not even during 9-11. They might not be able to deal with thunderstorms, but they have that whole snow thing down to a science. It even snowed on my graduation day – in MAY! Granted, it was just flurries, but still! Enough was enough. I was moving south!

STAY WARM!!

Denise said...

Hi Deals! I don't work at SU, I work at a SUNY college. And the kids I'm talking about who had the day off were actually the local school kids - elementary and high school. But you're right - colleges around here never close! I used to work at SU, and they never did while I was there (for five years, from '98 to '03) and this place hasn't either. It's sad, really. College kids need snow days too! :)

And Ken - thanks for reading! I've never heard of Second Life until you mentioned it, but it sounds right up my alley! I'll have to look into it.

Anonymous said...

Some of us take snow days :P

Neener Neener Neener

Deals On Wheels said...

Yeah, it always drove me crazy that the school kids got snow days but not the college kids. Boo! Then, I went to grad school in DC and a snow flake fell from the sky and they'd close the university. It was awesome.

I was at SU from 1998 to 2002. Maybe we passed each other on the quad?!

Denise said...

Hi again Deals!

We probably did pass each other on the quad! I worked at SU from 1998 - 2003, in Eggers Hall. It's pretty neat that you were there at the same time! :)

And Jamie - I didn't know you had taken a snow day when I wrote this entry, or believe me, I would have written about being jealous!

Anonymous said...

yes, check it out ... very addictive

http://www.secondlife.com

Anonymous said...

I wish it was spring too. Stupid snow.

Clare said...

Ooh you are lucky to have snow that you have to shovel away. I would love to have a snow day and it wouldn't take much here as the British can't deal with weather very well :).


Blogger Templates by Isnaini Dot Com and Mining Industry. Powered by Blogger