I'm having a kind of annoying day. I got a call this morning from the one person at work that I hate, and he just set my mood for the whole day. Or at least the the first half of the workday. I'm hoping for better things this afternoon. We'll see.
So, J took me over to pick up my car on Saturday afternoon. I paid my bill and managed not to wince too much as I handed him the check for over $400. Sigh. I'll miss that money. But, the car is quiet now, and much safer, so it was worth the money. Although I do still need new brakes (I'm going to try to do them next month) and new tires at some point before winter. Oh, and my check engine light is on because there is a problem of some sort with my radiator fan, so I'll have to get that checked, too. Why is it that all of the problems start now, when I'm trying to catch up on bills and maybe start to get ahead? Not to mention that the car is really close to being paid off - I'll make my last payment in November. Sigh. Cars suck, at least when they need fixing. And when you have to fill the gas tanks, too. Something needs to be done about this gas price thing - it's just gotten out of control. I can't afford it!
Anyway. While I was there picking up my car, I saw my Aunt. She is the mechanic's step-mother. For those of you who don't know me (and for those who do), this Aunt is my father's sister. My father died when I was two (almost three), and my mother cut us off from his family due to a dispute she had with his parents, so I grew up not knowing them. The grandparents are all gone now, so this Aunt is my only link with his family. It gives me kind of mixed feelings about her. I don't know her at all, really, but she is family, and she knows things about my family that I never will - how we were when I was a baby, and before I was even born. She told me a story of a time when she babysat all five of us while Mom and Dad went to Florida on a trip.
Apparently, Mom had all of the older kids pretty well trained. They'd get up in the morning and make their beds, and one of them would get breakfast and another one would clean up and another one would sweep the floors. And then the older four would all go off to school, and she'd be left to just watch me during the day. And she said that one night I got up fussing, because I needed to be changed. So she got up and changed me, and put me back to bed. Then the next morning she said my sister asked her about it. "I heard (my nickname) last night. What was wrong with her?" "She needed to be changed." "So what did you do?" "I changed her." "Well, you're supposed to rock her back to sleep." :) Apparently my sister was a little mother even then.
Also, I think I've figured out why, to this day, I do a slight rocking motion when I first go to bed (and in case that needs to be explained - when I'm lying on my side, I'll rock back and forth a little bit). I don't do it long, but for the first few minutes after I go to bed I will. And now I guess I know why! :D
Anyway. I probably still won't see my Aunt much at all, except when I happen to run into her. But it's a strange thought to realize that she's my only link to a whole side of my family that I don't know.
Okay. I need to go do something else, I guess. Like find something to put a smile on my face, since the mood hasn't lifted much. I hope you're all having great Mondays!
A year later
3 days ago


1 comments:
Sorry to hear that it's been tough lately! Things will turn around and get better! :)
Post a Comment