Saturday, December 06, 2008

Don't look too long at the picture if you're squeamish

Cats are predators. We've domesticated them (and their canine counterparts), but we haven't bred that instinct to hunt out of them. I'm reminded of that fact every once in a while when I find a dead mouse in my house in the morning - today I was reminded of it in a much more immediate way.

See that picture? That is a live mouse in Zelda's mouth. She caught it behind my desk, where I was sitting at the time. Fun! Not. I have no problem with mice - when they're outside. I like them, I think they're cute, they can live in the fields all they want. But inside they're destructive, so I applaud the cats' instincts to kill them. I just have a little bit of a problem with them killing mice while I'm home (and awake). Ick.

She hasn't killed this one, yet. I tried to rescue it - I grabbed its tail (with a paper towel, so I didn't actually touch it), and when Zelda let go, I was going to put it in an empty cereal box and take it outside. But it wriggled and fell on the floor, and Zelda went after it again. Only she did what cats do - she let go of it, because aparently half of the fun of hunting is playing with your prey - if you're a cat, that is. And it ran across the living room, and disappeared. Zelda and Sable have been on the hunt for it, but it hasn't turned back up yet. I really hope it didn't go under the door into our bedroom. Excuse me while I shudder at the thought.

If it did, I'm pretty sure it can find its way out - pretty much the same way it found its way in. I'm not sure how long it will live though - I don't know if the wounds Zelda gave it were surface wounds or deeper. We'll see.

Anyway. I was going to do an Oscar movie post today - I watched The Life of Emile Zola the other night. I'm going to hold that until Monday, though. This mouse post is good enough for today, don't you think?

Okay, I'm going to go back to cheering Zelda and Sable on. Find that mouse, cats! Hunt!

7 comments:

Eve said...

This reminded me of something that happened when we were cat sitting for my mom. It was late at night, I had been asleep with my contacts out, when I heard some commotion downstairs. Mind you, no contacts or glasses, so it was kinda blurry as I made my way over to where I spotted the cat under the table. I couldn't tell if she was hurt or something from afar, so I got close enough to see what was going on with her.

So I get under the table, and find that she had caught a mouse and didn't know what to do with it. It was still in her mouth! The confused look on that cats face was priceless, as was the scream from me that brought the hubby running to see if I was ok!

I don't know what happened to the mouse, but from that night forward, mom's cat would be on the lookout for mice! She'd sit in the spot where she probably caught that one lonely mouse and stayed for hours! Eventually our cats began to do the same even though they had no idea what they were waiting for!

Denise said...

Ha! Poor confused kitty. :) Zelda gave up the hunt for this one, but Sable is still sniffing all around. If I wake up tomorrow morning to find a dead mouse on my floor, I will not be surprised. :)

Anonymous said...

Way to go Zelda! I like a productive cat. Don't let anyone ever tell you NOT to catch a mouse.

Anonymous said...

Check out my entry for today (My Incredibly Unremarkable Life). We have something in common.

Denise said...

Sally, I think I learned my lesson on that one. Don't interfere! :) From now on I'll just leave the room and let them do their thing if they catch one when I'm home.

Sue18 - it was a bad day for mice, apparently! :D

Anonymous said...

eek!

Denise said...

LOL! :)


Blogger Templates by Isnaini Dot Com and Mining Industry. Powered by Blogger