Monday, April 06, 2009

Slumdog Millionaire

Slumdog Millionaire
2009
Dev Patel
Anil Kapoor
Saurabh Shukla
Freida Pinto
Irrfan Khan

Yesterday J and I watched Slumdog Millionaire. I think this is a movie that would have been better watched in the theater, but I hardly ever see any of the Oscar nominees that way, so DVD will have to do.

First problem - there are a decent amount of subtitles, and they're sized very small - they were almost impossible to read on my small bedroom TV. But we managed to get the gist of what was happening, anyway.

But despite that, I got into the movie, and the two hours went by pretty quickly. I won't say too much about the plot of the movie, because this is one I'm sure most of you probably will see, unlike the ones from the 30s and 40s, and I don't want to spoil it for you. I will say that I liked the way it was set up, and that there was a story to go along with most of the questions Jamal was asked on Millionaire. It was fun to watch.

Was it worthy of winning best picture? I don't know. It didn't knock my socks off. It didn't haunt me when it was over, making me think about what happened. It was just a good movie. I haven't seen all of the nominees yet, but so far, I doubt this would have been my choice. Then again, if I had seen it on the big screen, or even on a much larger TV, maybe I would have felt differently.

I gave this movie 4 out of 5 stars.

And a small update on the state of my quest to watch all of the Best Picture Academy Award winners - I only have 29 to go! Woo! I am loving this whole project, too. I've seen some great movies that I may never have seen otherwise. I'm glad I'm doing this.

Next up - Gentleman's Agreement, from 1947.

0 comments:


Blogger Templates by Isnaini Dot Com and Mining Industry. Powered by Blogger